Where Can I Study Teaching Part Time?

You can study teaching part-time through many institutions, such as universities, TVET colleges, or private institutions. 

You can also study through distance learning at an institution such as Bellview Institute of Distance Learning. This will allow you to study full-time or part-time, and still be working to earn an income. 

Can You Study Teaching Online?

Yes, you can study teaching online through distance learning. Many institutions offer courses through distance learning. For example, UNISA is entirely distance-learning based. All classes and study material is online or sent to you.

Can I Study Teaching Without Matric?

Yes, you can study teaching without Matric. However, you cannot become a Teacher without Matric. You can study an education course at a TVET college, or you can study National Certificate (Vocational) levels with Early Childhood Developments as one of your subjects, or you can study a NATED Educare course. 

However, with the courses you can study at TVET colleges, you could become a Teacher at a crèche, or work at an Early Childhood Development Centre. But you cannot teach in schools. The same goes for NATED qualifications. You could work at a daycare or crèche, but you cannot teach in schools. 

What Do I Need To Study Teaching In South Africa?

This depends on what teaching qualification you study, and at what level you study. There are four options to study teaching: 

  • Bachelor of Education (will allow you to be a school Teacher)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (will allow you to be a school Teacher)
  • TVET course in Education/Teaching (will NOT allow you to be a school Teacher)
  • NATED course in Eucare (will NOT allow you to be a school Teacher)

Bachelor Of Education (B.Ed)

Most universities have a specific APS requirement for a Bachelor of Education. This means you must achieve the minimum requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree pass, and also achieve the extra requirements at the end of Matric. 

However, these additional requirements differ between universities. Be sure to check with the university you are applying to about what their requirements for a Bachelor of Education are. 

Below are listed the APS requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree in the faculty of Education at some of South Africa’s top universities: 

  • University of Johannesburg – Minimum APS requirement of 26
  • North-West University – Minimum APS requirement of 26
  • University of the Western Cape – Minimum APS requirement of 33
  • University of Stellenbosch – Does not have requirements by APS, but by subjects. The requirements for the Faculty of Education are: An NSC aggregate of 50% and Maths with 40% or Maths Literacy with 50%

Postgraduate Certificate In Education (PGCE)

To study for a Postgraduate Certificate, you must have an undergraduate qualification, such as a Bachelor’s Degree, and in some cases a Diploma. 

It does not need to be an undergraduate qualification in Education, it can be in any other field, however, you must have teaching subjects within your Degree. Studying for a PGCE will then allow you to teach the subject you have a qualification in at a school level. 

TVET Course In Education/Teaching

To study courses at a TVET college, you need to have at least Grade 9. You can have studied further than Grade 9, but the minimum requirement is Grade 9. However, studying a TVET course in Education or Teaching will only allow you to work in the field of Child Care, and not as a school Teacher. 

NATED Course In Educare

The requirement to study any NATED course is that you have completed and passed Matric. You can apply with any Matric Pass Level, you do not need to have passed with any extra requirements. 

However, studying for a NATED Educare qualification will only allow you to work in the field of Child Care, and not as a school Teacher. 

Where Can I Study NATED Educare?

There are many reputable distance learning colleges that offer NATED Educare qualifications through online learning, such as: 

How Long Does It Take To Study Teaching In South Africa?

This also depends on what qualification you are studying. The minimum time to complete each qualification is shown below. 


Minimum Time

Bachelor of Education

Four years

Postgraduate Certificate in Education

One year (however, this is after completing a Diploma of three years or a Bachelor’s Degree of four years)

TVET course

One year (however, this can depend on whether you are doing NC(V) levels first)

NATED course

Three years (This is if you decide to complete the entire NATED Educare Diploma Programme)

However, note that these are the minimum time frames, and are based on full-time studying. If you study for your qualification part-time, it may take longer. 

A one-year course can be completed in three years, a three-year course can be completed in five years, and a four-year course can be completed in six to eight years. 

Does NSFAS Fund Teaching?

NSFAS will only fund certain teaching programmes. You can get NSFAS funding for a Bachelor of Education, and teaching courses offered at TVET colleges and some universities. Note that this is subject to NSFAS requirements. 

What Have We Learned?

  • There are many institutions where you can study Teaching part-time
  • You can study Teaching online
  • You can study Teaching without Matric, but you cannot become a Teacher without Matric
  • The entry requirements to study Teaching depend on what level you study at
  • The time to complete a Teaching qualification varies between qualifications, and can take from one to eight years
  • NSFAS only funds teaching courses at TVET colleges or public South African universities

Author: Chloe Bydawell
Editor: Razeen Dollie
Date: July 14, 2022