Where Can I Study Teaching?

There are many institutions where you can study teaching. Choosing one can be narrowed down by what level you want to study at. Some institutions where you can study teaching are: 

  • North West University (NWU)
  • University of Cape Town (UCT)
  • University of Johannesburg (UJ)
  • University of Kwazulu-Natal (UKZN)
  • University of Pretoria (UP)
  • University of South Africa (UNISA)
  • University of Stellenbosch (US/Stellies)
  • University of the Western Cape (UWC)
  • University of the Witwatersrand (Wits)
  • University of Zululand (UniZulu)
  • Durban University of Technology (DUT)
  • Tshwane University of Technology (TUT)

All of these universities offer qualifications in Education, and there are many more. 

How Do I Become A Teacher In South Africa?

To become a Teacher in South Africa, there are two qualifications you can choose from: 

  • Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

A Bachelor’s Degree is a four-year course available through universities. A PGCE is a one-year course that is studied after completing a Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree, usually in a study field other than Education, such as Arts or Science. 

What Subjects Do You Need To Complete In High School To Become A Teacher?

There are no specific subject requirements for studying a Bachelor of Education. However, most universities do have a higher APS requirement than the standard Bachelor’s Degree pass minimum of 23. Most universities require an APS of 26, and some require an APS as high as 33.

Is PGCE Funded By NSFAS?

No, a PGCE is not funded by NSFAS. This is because NSFAS only funds undergraduate studies at public South African universities. NSFAS does not fund any postgraduate studies. 

Which Courses Are Not Funded By NSFAS?

NSFAS does NOT fund the following: 

  • Foreign students
  • School studies
  • Matric programmes
  • Studies done at private institutions
  • Short courses
  • Studies at foreign/non-South-African institutions

Does NSFAS Fund Teaching?

NSFAS does fund Bachelor of Education courses, as well as Diplomas in Education and Higher Certificates in Education. The only conditions are that you are a South African citizen, and that you are studying at a public South African university. 

You must also meet all other NSFAS requirements, such as maximum household income. NSFAS reserves the right to grant funding or not, as they see fit, and as funding is available. 

Where Can I Study Teaching Without Matric?

You can study a course in Education at a TVET college without Matric. The only requirement is that you have Grade 9. However, this will not allow you to become a Teacher. You will only be able to work in the fields of Child Care and Early Childhood Development. 

However, you can use your TVET course in education to apply for a Diploma in Education at a university, and then study for a PGCE. As a result, you will be qualified to become a Teacher.

Can NSFAS Fund Me Without Matric?

Yes, however, only for specific courses. The only courses NSFAS will fund below the undergraduate level are National Certificate (Vocational) levels, known as NC (V) levels, at a TVET college. These are studied at NQF levels 2 to 4, equivalent to Grade 10 to Matric. 

Can I Do PGCE With A NATED N6 Diploma In Educare?

No, you cannot do a PGCE with a NATED qualification. NATED Diploma courses do not fulfil the requirements for a PGCE. However, you can apply to study for a Bachelor of Education, and apply for RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). 

Who Qualifies For A PGCE?

You can only qualify for a PGCE if you have completed a Diploma or a Bachelor’s Degree. However, you do not qualify for a PGCE with a National N Diploma/NATED qualification. 

What Have We Learned?

  • There are many institutions where you can study Teaching
  • There are no required subjects to study Teaching, but there are higher APS requirements than the Bachelor’s Degree pass requirement
  • PGCE is not funded by NSFAS
  • NSFAS does not fund postgraduate studies, or studies at a foreign institution
  • NSFAS will fund Bachelor of Education courses as long as they are at a public South African university
  • You can study teaching without Matric, but you cannot become a Teacher without Matric
  • NSFAS will only fund very specific courses without Matric
  • You cannot qualify for a PGCE course with a NATED qualification
  • You qualify for a PGCE after a Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree

Author: Chloe Bydawell
Editor: Razeen Dollie
Date: July 14, 2022